Served with Hot Sour Cream Sauce
As summer approaches, I’ve been trying to eat a little healthier and lighter. While I find this very easy to do with breakfasts and dinners, making lunches is always more of a challenge for me. Most of the time I just take some roasted sweet potatoes in a dish and call it good enough, but after a couple weeks of that, I’m craving something new and ready to switch it up. As I was meal prepping for my week ahead, I decided to make a spin off of my regular Tater Tot Egg Bake, to turn it into something a little more filling with some healthy add-ins instead of bacon.
I was thrilled with the way these turned out, and I can’t wait to take them in my lunch this week. Coming in at only 140 calories per serving, these will be a great way to cut back a little bit while still having a tasty meal. These are served best with a spoonful of hot sour cream sauce drizzled on top of them, but they are also delicious plain!
Egg Bake Ingredients
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Dried Onion Flakes
½ tsp Black Pepper
48 Tater Tots
¼ cup Spinach
¼ cup Chopped Mushrooms
¾ cup Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
Hot Sour Cream Ingredients
½ cup Sour Cream
2 tsp Crystal’s Hot Sauce
1. Crack all eight eggs into a medium mixing bowl, sprinkle in the seasonings, and whisk until the eggs are blended.
2. Rip up spinach leaves until they measure out to ¼ cup, and chop the mushrooms into small pieces.
4. Shred ¾ cup of pepper jack cheese.
5. Mix the spinach, mushrooms, and cheese into the eggs.
6. Grease a muffin tin with cooking spray, and place 4 tater tots into each cup.
7. Divide the egg mixture evenly over the top of the muffin cups. Each cup will likely be about ¾ of the way full after it is poured in.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 22-23 minutes.
9. While the egg bake is cooking, stir the sour cream and hot sauce together to make the sauce. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
10. Once the egg bake comes out of the oven, let it set for about 5 minutes before serving. This will allow the edges of the egg to come away from the tin and make them a little easier to scoop out.
I firmly believe that almost all foods taste just a little bit better when served in muffin format, and egg bake follows this rule to a tee. By cooking this recipe in muffin tins, it makes them so easy to portion out. The spinach and mushrooms provide an excellent way to make this into a healthy dish, while the tater tots give a little bit of indulgence. Whether eating this for breakfast, lunch, or even a midday snack, this is a great little guilt free treat!
If you prefer bacon over veggies, make your way over to my original Tater Tot Egg Bake recipe!
One thought on “Spinach and Mushroom Tater Tot Egg Bake”
LikeLiked by 2 people