Even though the focus of this blog is cooking without processed ingredients, there are occasional instances where a recipe simply needs cream of chicken soup to work. Hashbrown Casserole was one of my favorite foods as a child and it’s actually the first dish that I ever made all on my own.
I will be the first one to admit that there is nothing ultra healthy about this dish, but it is incredibly delicious. This is also a large group recipe, so if you are having company over, or need a casserole for a potluck, this is an excellent item to fall back on.
1 ½ cups Sour Cream
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
2 ½ cups Sharp Shredded Cheddar
1 tsp Dried Onion Flakes
16 oz Shredded Chicken
32 oz Southern Style Hashbrown Potatoes
2 cups Corn Flakes
3 tbsp Butter
1. Take the hashbrown potatoes out of the freezer at least half an hour to an hour before putting together the casserole to allow them to partially thaw out.
2. Mix the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, shredded cheddar, onion flakes, and chicken in a large bowl.
3. Grease a 13×9 glass baking dish and pour the hashbrown potatoes in an even layer across the bottom. Sprinkle the potatoes with a generous amount of pepper.
4. Spread the chicken mixture in an even layer over the top of the potatoes.
5. Pour the corn flakes into a bag and crumble them up into smaller pieces. Spread these pieces over the top of the casserole.
6. Cut the butter into small clumps and drop them a couple of inches apart from each other over the top of the corn flakes.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Kitchen Tip: If you thawed the potatoes out for an hour or more before making the casserole it should only need 50 minutes. If you thawed them for 30 minutes or less, it will take an hour to bake.
Even though I tend to eat healthier now, this dish will always be one of my favorites, and I will treat myself to it at least once per year. Being a Wisconsinite, cheesy casseroles will always hold a special place in my heart. If you are a dairy lover, you are going to love this recipe!