My slow cooker is one of my most used kitchen appliances. It’s so convenient to be able to dump everything into the pot and magically have dinner ready in the evening. I make a lot of soups and stews in my slow cooker, but I’m gradually trying to branch out to make other dishes in it too. This recipe was created out of the need to use up an abundance of cream cheese and spinach that I left over from other meals. I HATE throwing out food, so this was a great way to take care of the problem, and it was so tasty! When I first made this dish I served it over brown rice, but occasionally Cole gives me his input on how he would improve recipes that I’m developing. It was his idea to serve this over biscuits instead, and I’ve got to say, even though biscuits are not as healthy as rice, this combo definitely perfects the dish! If you want an easy slow cooker recipe to feed the whole family, try this one out.
*This recipe serves six people, but the pictures only show a half batch*
2 cups Water
2 tsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Roasted Chicken Base
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Dried Onion Flakes
2 lbs Chicken Breast
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 oz Cream Cheese Spread
1 tsp White Pepper
5 oz Spinach
1. Pour the water into the slow cooker. Add in the bouillon, garlic, and dried onion flakes.
2. Place the chicken breast into the liquid, leaving space in the middle for the cream cheese. Lightly sprinkle each breast with salt and pepper. There’s no need to go overboard here. Just enough to taste.
3. Place the cream cheese in the middle of the pot, and sprinkle the white pepper directly on top of it.
4. Cook on low for 5 hours. DO NOT OPEN DURING THE COOKING TIME!
5. Use two forks to break the chicken apart into small shredded pieces, and mix until the cream cheese is entirely combined into the chicken.
Kitchen Tip: The cream cheese will look a little clumpy at first, but after enough stirring, and cooking a little longer, these clumps should break down into a smooth and creamy sauce.
6. Mix the spinach directly into the slow cooker. It will look like a lot of spinach initially, but while cooking it will wilt and blend into the chicken, and can be seen in the picture below. Cook on low for 30 minutes to allow the spinach to fully wilt into the mixture.
7. While the spinach is wilting, bake up some biscuits so that they are fresh and warm.
8. Cut the biscuits in half and set 4 halves on each plate. Spoon the creamy chicken and spinach on top of the biscuits. Make sure to get some liquid on the plate in addition to the chicken.
This dish is so rich, filling, and delicious. It’s also a great way to sneak some spinach into a picky eater’s diet. The spinach is barely noticeable among the other flavors, so very little complaints should be uttered about its green presence. If you love easy slow cooker meals for the whole family, give this recipe a try!