It’s always a good idea to have some easy recipes in your cookbook arsenal, and Creamy Feta Greek Chicken Wraps fall directly into the easy category while being super filling and healthy! While this dish is very easy to make, it does take some forethought. Both the chicken and the sauce have to sit for a couple of hours before eating them in order to achieve ultimate flavors, but if you have time to plan ahead, this is a great dish to make for the whole family.
Greek food isn’t something I have a ton of experience with, but after attending a work lunch, Cole came home telling me about an amazing Greek chicken wrap he had. I started researching elements that go into Greek cuisine, and I was able to develop this dish after a little bit of experimentation. While I am usually the one to want to try new cuisines, I am so glad that Cole encouraged me to attempt to replicate the wrap he loved. This is definitely something I would not have thought to try without him describing what was in the dish he enjoyed at a random lunch out with coworkers. If you are searching for filling, healthy foods, this is definitely a recipe you should try!
24 oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
½ cup Olive Oil
⅓ cup Lemon Juice
1 tsp Lemon Pepper
1 ½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Minced Garlic
2 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tbsp Dried Parsley
Creamy Feta Sauce
1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
4 oz Feta Cheese Crumbles
1 ½ tsp Lemon Juice
½ tbsp Milk
1 tsp Dried Dill
1 tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Onion Powder
¼ tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Sugar
15 drop Hot Sauce (I use Crystal’s Hot Sauce)
Other Essential Ingredients
6 Greek Pita Flatbreads
1 Ripe Tomato
1 Large Cucumber
1. The first step to making this dish is making the chicken marinade. In a large flat dish combine the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon pepper, salt, black pepper, minced garlic, dried oregano, and dried parsley. Whisk all the ingredients together.
2. After the marinade has been mixed, cover the chicken with the marinade on both sides and leave it to soak in the juices for 4-5 hours. Refrigerate while letting it marinate.
3. Once the chicken has been prepped, it is time to prepare the creamy feta sauce. First, the feta cheese must be crumbled down into small pieces. This can be crumbled from block form or it can be bought already in crumbled form.
Kitchen Tip: Sometimes feta cheese crumbles into larger chunks. I’ve found that this sauce tastes best when the cheese is crumbled up very small. This helps to avoid large overwhelming bites of cheese in the sauce. Luckily, feta is an extremely soft cheese, so larger pieces can easily be broken down by just using your fingers!
4. When the cheese has been prepped, the sauce can be mixed together. Start by folding the cheese into the yogurt, then incorporate all of the liquid elements together except the hot sauce.
5. Once the liquids have been mixed in, add in the seasonings: the dried dill, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, black pepper, and sugar.
6. Finally add in the hot sauce slowly. Be careful that it doesn’t come out too quickly! Refrigerate until you are ready to eat.
7. After the chicken has marinated for 5 hours, set the chicken into a baking dish and pour a small amount of the marinade directly into the bottom of the dish. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and cook covered for 40 minutes.
8. While the chicken is cooking, dice the tomato, and slice the cucumber first into coins, then quarters.
9. After the chicken is cooked, chop it into bite sized pieces.
10. Next, warm the pita bread in the oven for 3-4 min on a cookie sheet – this can be done in the freshly warm oven from the chicken. It doesn’t need to be set on a certain temperature, just enough to get some warmth in the bread.
11. Finally, construct the wrap by layering on chicken, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Lightly spoon on the desired amount of sauce – warning – do not pour the sauce on too thickly. The flavor is slightly strong, and a little goes a long way.
While this dish does need to be thought out ahead of time to let the flavors all come together, the actual process of making it is very easy! If you are looking to step outside your comfort zone of traditional meals, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. Enjoy!