If your family is into spicy foods like mine is then there is one perfect side to all your meals – a corn muffin. Whether it’s tacos, Cajun cooking, chili, or even BBQ sauce with a zing, the corn muffin is the perfect supplement to your meal. Of course, because I like to spice up food, there is one way to make this side even better, jalapenos, and because I’m from Wisconsin why not add in some cheese while you’re at it? Some people get scared away when they hear the word jalapeno, but the cheddar and the sugar in the muffins tames the jalapeno enough to give it a zip without it being overwhelmingly spicy. .
1 ⅔ cups Flour
⅔ cup Cornmeal
1 ½ Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt
½ cup sugar
¼ cup Softened Butter
1 cup Milk
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Large Eggs
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
9 slices Pickled Jalapenos (middles and seeds removed, and then diced up)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt into a medium sized bowl.
2. Next grab a large bowl and cream your softened butter and sugar together.
3. Once the butter and sugar is creamed, add in the milk and oil and mix it together, then add the eggs and beat them in.
4. Now it’s time to incorporate the two mixing bowls into one. Slowly add the cornmeal mixture in, mixing them with a fork until combined. This mixture will end up being slightly lumpy and sticky, and that’s entirely okay.
5. After the batter is mixed it’s time to prep the jalapenos. Remove the middles and seeds from them, then dice the slices into very small pieces. If you don’t dice them small enough there will have some bites that will have a lot of spice in them and other bites that won’t have much spice. Mix in the diced jalapeno and shredded cheddar cheese.
6. Now the batter is completely done, so fill up 12 muffin tins. They will be pretty full, but that’s a good thing because then it means the muffins will be nice and large. Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. They should be golden brown on the top. These muffins can be served with butter or eaten with any soup.
This corn muffins go excellent with my chili recipes!